Thyroid and Adrenal Conditions
Autoimmune Thyroiditis can be a cause of a low thyroid condition. Autoimmune thyroid conditions can be triggered by a number of conditions, including leaky gut, alterations in the microbiome of the GI tract, and toxins.
At Peak Medicine Dr. Musnick:
- Treats the underlying cause of the condition to prevent other autoimmune conditions
- Considers diet issues, including key nutrients such as selenium
- Measures thyroid antibodies as well as free T3, free T4 and possibly RT3
- Considers the production and transport of thyroid hormone
- Evaluates the status of T3, T4 as well as RT3
- Knows that the thyroid and adrenal glands are related to each other
Your adrenal glands produce not only cortisol but also many other really important hormones.
Adrenal glands can have various levels of function and dysfunction.
Proper evaluation of the adrenal glands requires both blood and saliva hormone level testing, including cortisol, DHEA and DHEA-S.
At Peak Medicine I take a Functional Medicine approach to assessing and healing adrenal problems as well as adrenal fatigue and other conditions of the adrenals, such as “tired and wired.”
Stress management, lifestyle changes, diet and supplement approaches can help to restore energy and adrenal function.